With the release of Leopard, it’s not the traditional show, and there were no traditional picks. Instead, the guys did highlight certain aspects of Leopard and what they thought about them. So, in this post, I’ll just highlight and summarize the discussion as they went around the horn.
Is it a major upgrade/revision?
- Leo Laporte — Wasn’t expecting much, but was very impressed.
- Andy Ihnatko — Thinks most of the juice is under the hood. Feature-wise — nothing too awesome, but everyone will find a key feature or app that makes it worthwhile for them.
- Scott Bourne — Curious to how long the honeymoon will last and if Leopard will experience the criticism ala the iPhone.
- John Siracusa — Pointed out that it’s been a long time since the last release and of course there will be a number of changes. He wrote about 30,000 words on Leopard over at ars technica.
Time Machine – what do you think?
- Leo Laporte — Calls it “backup for mom.” Not a fan because if there’s a fire – both drives are toast. Good for the “unwashed masses.”
- Andy Ihnatko — Not a fan either, but prefers SuperDuper!. However, he thinks it’s great for people that can’t really be bothered with a backup.
- Scott Bourne — Perfect for Aunt Fay and the millions that “don’t backup squat.”
- John Siracusa — Thinks EVERYONE will use it.